In the spring of 2013, the owners of Valley Organics decided to sell their business. The four shop workers plus two others put together their savings, with help from friends and relatives. We issued loan stock for more funding, and with help from Co-operatives UK and a loan from ICOF, we bought the business and established a Workers' Co-op.
The shop has continued to thrive and promote eating and growing good local food. We now open longer hours and have two workers in the shop at all times.
There are currently seven full members and two probationary members of our co-op: ellie, Alex, Lili, Alfie, Julie, Ben, Penny, Sam and Isy. We also employ part-time workers Adele, Alison, Annabelle, Kerry, Liz, Naomi and Zara.
Our aims are to:
- provide good quality, ethically sourced organic produce that you can trust
- promote healthy, raw ingredients
- reduce, re-use and recycle wherever possible
- promote local food, support the local economy and reduce food miles
- support producers who are changing food systems for the better
- increase understanding of the issues around food production
- pay ourselves a living wage
- be a positive example of a workers' co-op and support other local co-ops
- develop and implement a clear ethical policy
- bring some fun into buying food!
Where are we?
31 Market Street
Hebden Bridge HX7 6EU
Our shop is near the centre of the town, about ten
minutes' walk from Hebden Bridge station.
Phone: 01422 846651